Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Don't Worry

Quite often, I wish I could talk myself out of worrying like I do to other people. I tell myself time and over again “to practice what I preach”. I must confess, it is easier said than done. Despite the fact that I have committed things to the Almighty and I have no doubts whatsoever that He would answer, I still find myself being worried. Is this peculiar to me or do people feel this way too?

Recently, I found myself sliding back into the habit of worrying and I prayed to God earnestly to please help me. You bet He answered; our God is still in the business of answering prayers. As soon I began worrying again, I remembered a song we used to sing while I was young, it goes thus:
Why worry when you can pray
Trust Jesus and He will lead the way
Don't be like doubtful Thomas
Just rest upon His promise
Why do you worry when you can pray?
I have made that song my anthem. The Holy Spirit has also been ministering to me with some Bible verses that I would like to share, just in case anyone is in the ‘boat of worrying’ with me.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus". Philippians 4:6-7.  "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble". Matthew 6:34. "And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his  span of life"? Luke 12:25. "Be still, and know that I am God". Psalm 46:10. "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life"? Matthew 6:25-27. "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths". Proverbs 3:5-6
I also came across this quote during my blog round some days ago, “Worry is the sin of distrusting the promise and providence of God, and yet it is a sin that Christians commit perhaps more frequently than any otherJohn MacArthur. Did you know that worry is a sin? I didn’t think of it as one till I read this and I couldn’t agree more, it means you don’t believe God is able to sort out whatever situation you are worried about and you are indirectly saying the problem is greater than your God. Well, now that you know it’s a sin, I hope you will STOP WORRYING and TRUST GOD.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

place your heart and your mind where your faith is :)

besto said...

why worry

Bobo said...

Something rather interesting is that these last few days, even though i am worried sick, I keep stumbling on the word "still".
There must be something special about standing still/firm and taking your position.
Exodus 14:13
II Chronicles 20:17
Joshua 8:4 ==> some translations say Joshua ordered them to take their positions.
So many scriptures
Job 37:14
Ephesians 6:14
I Corinthians 16:13 and many more

These scriptures all speak about taking your position/standing still/firm. I believe we need to take our position and let the Lord do "HIS thing".

Take your stand in faith and leave the battle to God!

Anonymous said...

In as much as we live in this tent(body),we are bound to think and worry when we can't seems to figure out what to do on a matter, but has a believer in Jesus(Word),we must learn how to cast our cares to the Lord and not rest on our understanding. When children of Israel were before the red sea,Moses told them to stand still in Exodus 14:14 but God told them to move forward in verse 15. ‎​‎​So when are faced with situation like the red sea,instead of getting worried,get on your kneels. God will show you which way to turn. Olawuyi B.G

dupe said...

Each time worries come to mind,I think of what He said. That He will do that which He said.He is not a man that He should lie.He is a faithful God.

alldatmatas said...

Thanks all.
@ Sunny Pil, may God help us to do just that.

@ Bobo, thank you so much for sharing. The Bible verses really ministered to me. God bless u

@ Olawuyi, may we recieve the grace to worry less and pray more

@ Dupe, He is indeed a faithful God

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my cousin were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a book from our local library but I think I learned better from this post. I’m very glad to see such great info being shared freely out there…

Anonymous said...

I really like it whenever people get together and share ideas.
Great site, stick with it!
Feel free to visit my page :: chwilowki