Thursday, November 8, 2012

Dehumanizing fashion

As human beings, it is natural for us to have a strong desire to fit in, to be validated, we try so hard to connect with "important" people. I have noticed that one quick way to get noticed is to dress well and that brings us to the message for today. In these modern times, what exactly does it mean to be well dressed?

A few weeks back, I saw a picture of Kim Kardashian dressed in a sheer skirt with no underwear and then I wondered, what has fashion become? I am not in any way judging anyone, I just want to drive home my point. In my opinion, you don't have to expose your body to look good but a lot of "celebrities" are making us believe that the only way to show that you have a good dress sense is by showing off your body and the clothing designers are not making it easy either.Living in this culture of endless clothing choices and with the internet, television and fashion magazines all affecting our choices, we do need to stop and think before choosing the set of clothes and even accesories before we pay for them.

Have you by any chance noticed that nowadays, people act as if their dress sense is more important than their character? I remember trying to help a friend of mine adjust her blouse one day when she bluntly told me to stop, telling me that's what's hot at the moment. I tried telling her hot doesn't necessarily mean it was right but she got upset and told me not to start one of my sermons again. Even Christians who are supposed to let others see Jesus in them have joined in the quest to fit in. People no longer attach real positive meaning to the “how do I look” question as the motive behind this question has shifted from “do I look good” to “will I impress people”? Asides from being a Christian, good morals are meant to restrain you from doing some things right? Well, would you agree with me if I say morals are fast going into extinction?

Nicole Whitacre said it all on her blog (Read it here) when she wrote “What brazen ungratefulness is expressed if we proudly admire ourselves for the clothing God has provided, if we dress to attract the attention and admiration of others instead of drawing their attention to God, and worst of all, if we dress to “allure men sexually?” What kind of “thank you” is this to God for His good gift of attractive, comfortable, and warm clothing? And how can our minds be fixed upon the goodness and the glory of God if they are consumed with thoughts of what we wear? If we are preoccupied with the latest fashions, which (like the grass) will be here today and gone tomorrow, how can we worship and love the eternal Savior with all our minds?” I also love the way John Shore addressed it when he said the devil’s main delight and work lies in dehumanizing people and broadcasting to the world that you think your body is the most important thing about you is dehumanizing. Don’t volunteer to do to yourself what the devil is forever itching to do. 

My word to you today is every day before putting on those clothes, ask yourself these questions, will God be pleased with my dressing, does my dressing profess my faith, what kind of attention will I draw to myself by dressing this way and is God my standard or the trending fashion? Remember Romans 12:1 - 2 says Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

3 comments:

besto said...

Dehumanizing heheheheheh, my pastor once told me when u have the spirit of God in you it shows in your dressing so i beleieve when we live in the godly way it will show in our dressing. winks......

alldatmatas said...

I believe so too. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hеllo friends, its wоnderful ρost regarԁing educatіonand entігely explained, kеep it
up all thе time.
Also see my site > what free movie