Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Where is the Christ in Christianity?

For quite a long time, I was of the opinion that asking if people are “born-again Christians” is a wrong question, to me, you are either a Christian or not. But, I thank God for the wise people He has placed in my life, I was discussing with one of my sisters the other day, and I told her about my view, she explained to me that there are all sorts of “Christians” now hence, the need to ascertain what makes someone a born-again. To confirm this, I read on BBC’s website (Read it here) that 42 million Britons see themselves as nominally Christian, and there are 6 million who are actively practicing. Can you believe that? Is there supposed to be such a thing as being a nominal Christian? And to think that we have more ‘’nominal” than active ones is so disheartening.
I would also like to mention the fact that of these so called “active” Christians, quite a number don’t seem to have a real understanding of what it is to be a follower of Christ. I know I’m not a perfect Christian, but believe me when I say the actions and speeches of some Christians do get me wondering if they are true believers. You find that people in the church are amongst several things, quick to judge (when the Bible clearly states that we are not to judge. Matthew 7:1); Don’t “do to others what they would have them do to them, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets” Matthew 7:12 NIV; Unforgiving (“But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your sins” Mark 11: 26); Love only those who love them unlike the commandment to (“Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous" Matthew 5:43-45); and most importantly, don’t "seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness” Matthew 6:33.




That brings us to our question, where is the Christ in Christianity? Are we qualified to be called Christians if we are not obeying the commandments that Christ gave us? As G.K. Chesterton said, “Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car" and permit me to add that calling yourself a born-again Christian while others cannot see Christ in you is not true Christianity. Jesus said “But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” Matthew 19:17 so, if you are not keeping His commands, I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but you are not a Christian for Christ also said “if you love me, keep my commandments” John 14:15. As a real Christian, we should be imitators of Christ (1 Corinthians 11:1). Let’s just say Ephesians 4 sums it all up for us (

 
I therefore beseech you my dear blog fam to live your lives in such ways that others would see Jesus in you, after all, the word Christian is from the Greek word Christianos  which means “follower of Christ”

I hope this hymn ministers to you: Let others see Jesus in you

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

" I THINK I'M WRONG" Everyday,we welcome the arrival of innocent souls', pure in spirit. But the evil men adopt to please their worldly desires,eventually set this Godly souls' on a worldly quest, fashion by men to make ends meet. Its so sad that the only place we can seek refuge is becoming a slave camp. Dr Hook.

alldatmatas said...

Thanks Dr Hook