Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Encourager

Often times, people turn to me for words of encouragement and I must confess that a lot of times, I feel like some people only remember me when they need to be encouraged this makes me ask myself over and over again "am I being used?", I have even asked some people whose opinion I respect so much and trust me, I have gotten different responses. Some of them think it is a good thing that my name comes to mind whenever people need to be encouraged while others said I needed to stop people from 'using me'.

Someone very dear to me, whose opinion I totally respect because she has proven to be wise and Godly told me about John Ploughman. He was a man who many people say had a gift for presenting Christian truth in a way that captured the imagination. He said, "Do not be all sugar, or the world will suck you down; but do not be all vinegar or the world will spit you out." (read it here). I also celebrated my birthday recently, and quite a number of people told me how much of a blessing I have been to them and a lot of them prayed that I would continue to be a source of blessing; very few prayed that others would bless me in return. This made me to more than ever, desire to find a balance between using my God-given gift and being taken for granted by people.


As God would have it, He's been speaking to me about this uncommon gift that I am privileged to have. Not only have I read different verses in the Bible, I have read devotionals and people have been encouraging me much more than before or could it be that I just didn't realize that I have not only been giving, I have also been receiving? Just the other day, I read in one of the daily devotionals that "Some people instinctively know what to say to encourage others; they're the ones we look for when we're going through hard times", then it struck me, just like I have read that “The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed” Isaiah 50:4 also that “A person finds joy in giving an apt reply — and how good is a timely word” Proverbs 15: 23, being an encourager is a gift from God that I should be thankful for.

Funny enough, I have read Romans 12: 6 - 8 so many times, but today, God opened my eyes to the fact that giving encouragement is a gift to be used in humble service in the body of Christ, it says “We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully”. I pray God helps me to remember that “I am His handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for me to do”. Ephesians 2: 10. I also ask that God will make me the kind of friend whose presence brings comfort and encouragement.

 
So, feel free to contact me if you need to be encouraged, but do not forget that it is not by my works, it is by the grace of God.
 

4 comments:

Bobo said...

as always another nice post... Yay, I know who made the John Ploughman reference ;-). You'll be a blessing to many and will be blessed in return, AMEN :)

Unknown said...


This is a hard one as I’ve and I still struggling with the same issues…

You are blessed and will continue to be a blessing to others. You cannot let the world or people‘s behaviour change you.

Mummy tells us “to always do the job God has sent us to do and not to worry”. Remember, People will disappoint and fail us but God never fails.

My advice to you is for you to continue to be the blessing and encourager you are. Use all the blessing, gifts, ways and means God has blessed and given you and continue to be a blessing to others.

2 Corinthians 9:12 : This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.

Ephesians 5:1 Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children.

Anonymous said...

Great message... We should learn to be our brothers keeper, this piece has help to reiterate the fact that everybody needs some comforting words, even if it is as little as telling the "encourager" how much we appreciate them... Don't wait to say sweet things about that person when he/ she is gone... Let the person know now cos those words,your words, might be what is needed to move that dreaded mountain.

alldatmatas said...

Thanks all, I truly appreciate your wise comments. And I say Amen to the prayers. God bless us all