Thursday, January 10, 2013

Do not be afraid

Happy new year to you all.

Our message for today is one thing that affects everybody, young or old, rich or poor. Fear does not respect any status. We all have experienced it and will still do once in a while ranging from the fear of the future, our family getting it right, not losing our jobs and even little fears such as meeting a new person.

Fear is one of the greatest tools the devil uses to manipulate people. He knows that we will not achieve anything once fear sets in. But we thank God who has made us conquerors by giving us the spirit of love, power and self-discipline instead of fear and timidity. 2 Timothy 1:7
There is a particular kind of fear that I find myself struggling with. Some people might not see it as fear for I myself did not see it as such until recently when the Holy Spirit pointed it out to me. It is the fear of being vulnerable. For some reason, even in pain, I feel I need to show strength and by this I don't mean exercising faith like it is written in Joel 3:10 where the Bible says "Let the weak say I am strong".

For years, I have been afraid quite often to show my honest emotion. A lot of people draw inspiration from the kind of strength I display, most of them don't even bother to ask me questions anymore because they are sure of the fact that I am strong and will pull through any situation I find myself in. They see me as a tough person. But this is not meant to be, did Jesus himself not show emotion when He was here on earth? Did He not weep openly at the grave of Lazarus? Why do I now feel I need to be strong for every other person when deep inside me I felt weak? The devil has used this device to rub me of comfort from friends and healing that comes from things as simple as a hug.

To the glory of God, I have overcome this fear. I have decided that with the help of God, I will open up, I am not saying I will burst out crying each time trouble comes, but I will be transparent enough for others to know I also need encouragement every once in a while. I will let people know that as much as I have seasons of laughter, there are seasons of tears, there is a time to mourn and a time to dance. Ecclesiastes 3: 4. Just like my Saviour showed honest emotion, I will too.

So I ask that this year, you prayerfully ask God to help you overcome your fears. To have such strong faith in God that you will be very strong and courageous (Joshua 1:9a) so that you will confront your fears and enjoy the good life that God has blessed you with.


Live everyday fearless for "the Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to Sonship and by Him we cry Abba Father" Romans 8: 15

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for Jesus! There is so so much to learn from Him.

Anonymous said...

I love reading through a post that will make men and women think.
Also, thanks for permitting me to comment!
My web-site ; reboot the mind

Grateful said...

Most times I overcome a particular fear I then wonder y I had d fear in d 1st stance.