Thursday, April 18, 2013

You are not the boss of me!

Few days ago, I was watching the TV when I heard my little sweetheart tell her elder brother "you are not the boss of me", surprised, I turned to get a better picture of the story and of course, from his reaction, I knew just like all of us, the big boy was not so pleased to get such a response from his sister for trying to help her out. I got in the conversation and had her apologize for her rudeness. The good thing is, just as I curled back in the sofa, the Holy Spirit ministered to me.

I realized that often times, not only do I try to boss God around, I also tell Him He is not the boss of me. Despite the fact that He is my Lord, I find myself trying to control Him, most times unknowingly. 


I know this is not peculiar to me because, listening to some sermons at times just makes me laugh or get me really upset, you hear some preachers saying that "if you want God to do things for you, you have to give a particular amount of money to Him". Isn't that the same thing as trying to bribe God? Did Peter not say to Simon the Sorcerer, "Thy money perish with thee" Acts 8: 20? How dare us think we can make God bless us by bribing Him? The problems with we Christians is that most times, we think we Know God too well. We think that if we pray hard and long enough, He would give up on His plans for us and just give in to our petitions. Just as A.W. Tozer said, "The reason why many are still troubled, still seeking, still making little forward progress is because they haven't yet come to the end of themselves. We are still trying to give orders, and interfering with God's work within us."

One thing I have come to realize however is that trying to be in control and submitting at the same time will never work, also, God has a plan for each and everyone of us, He said in Jeremiah 29: 11 that He knows the plans He has for us, so clearly, He is not confused about it, its not a work-in-progress that He is making up as He goes on, He already predestined us, so no matter how much we give, pray or get mad, we cannot buy Him or control Him, we cannot force Him to do what He won't do. We are simply not His Boss. 

I have even come across some people that gave up on God because He didn't answer their prayers, such people fail to realize that if there is a problem, it's with us, not with God. God is not bound nor limited in resources to bless us with, rather, in as much as we think we can control God or that we deserve what we ask Him for, we are bound and therefore hinder our blessings and answers to our prayers. We have to "Cease striving and know that He is God" Psalm 46: 10. We have to submit ourselves to Him completely until His will becomes our will, that way, "All other things will be added". Matthew 6: 33
We also have to be holy because "Those that are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God" Romans 8: 8.

In order to receive answers to our prayers, we have to get our relationships with God fixed. We need to give up being the boss and be the children, I know we all will not tolerate our children dictating to us, so why do same with God?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The boss of all bosses. May we all achieve that total submission to His will, for God's glory never wanes.

Bobo said...

So true. Lord, help us realize and remember that You cannot be bribed and that You have the best plans for us.

Isn't it amazing how God speaks in every situation everyday. If only we pay attention, listen and learn.

Say hi to "big boy" and the sweetest girl ever.

Cheers,
Bobo

Bobo said...

.... and of course the younger big boy.

Bobo

Dupe said...

Beautiful. Often times we feel that we know the mind of God and we eventually move away from His purpose for our life. I pray the Holy Spirit will continue to help and minister to us.