Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Decency at last!!!

I was so happy when I read about the "wardrobe warning"  issued by CBS for the 55th Annual Grammy Awards the other day. I said to myself, "finally, someone seems to notice the rate at which these celebrities expose their bodies to the whole world" but then, I went on to read people's comments on the news and my heart sank. In a bid to convince myself that things can't be that bad, I went on to search the internet, just to read what people had to say about the warning. Your guess is as good as mine, by the time I was done reading different analysis and comments as regards the warning, I was completely lost for words.

If you remember, not too long ago, I wrote about the way people act as if their dress sense is more important than their character (Read it here if your missed it), the way a lot of people reacted over the internet as regards the CBS warning proved the point that quite a lot of people really do think that "indecent dressing" is not a burning issue that needs to be addressed. Someone even interpreted the warning to mean that CBS wanted the celebrities to dress as nuns.  I know we all are entitled to our opinions but isn't the Grammy Awards meant for the recognition of musical achievements? Why does it have to be a celebration of near nudity?

So much was said about the awards and the fact that the warning would definitely lead to a drop in the number of audience that I made it a point of duty to stay updated and I was pleasantly suprised when I read that contrary to what people forecasted, the 55th Annual Grammy Awards had the second largest audience in 20 years.  Some people claim the the audience was attracted because they wanted to see how boring it would be without the 'usual exposures' but I choose to believe that deep down in our hearts, we want to maintain our morals and hope to see our little ones hold on to these high morals and not get tossed around by what they see.

I know a lot of people argue saying God doesn't really care about what we wear using 1 Samuel 16:7b "man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart" as a point of reference but the fact is, you are still here on earth, and fellow humans cannot see your heart, all they can see is your outward appearance, so why not obey the word of God that says we should not do anything that causes our brothers to stumble Romans 14:21? So I ask that the next time you bring a cloth out of your closet, make sure you are convinced in your heart that you are not conforming to this world. Romans 12: 2

Let us also be constantly reminded that Jesus said the second greatest commandment is to "Love your neighbor as yourself. And the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" Matthew 22: 39 - 40 and also that "Love does not dishonor others and it is not self-seeking" 1 Corinthians 13: 5a. So show your love for God and your neighbor in your dressing and "Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon". Philippians 4:5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sis...you can still be fasionable without showing all of your goods!!!!